Well, I'm almost a week late but I have contributed to Family Search's Indexing efforts. I have spent the weekend catching up on +DearMYRTLE's GeneaSleepOver - Worldwide Indexing Events. There was plenty of demonstrations of live indexing. In the past I have transcribed for FreeBMD but I found this to be quite tricky. From the demonstrations, Family Search indexing seemed much more straightforward.
I have been indexing Australia,Tasmania - Burial and Cremation Orders - 1873-1986 & so far I have completed 5 batches. Hopefully I haven't made too many mistakes!
Sunday, 27 July 2014
Monday, 7 July 2014
I have been using the new NSW BDM Online Index (Lifelink) today & I have to say I miss not having the district show up in search results. In the past it has really helped me to identify the correct parents / family group in birth searches. I hope it comes back.
This reminded me that I had missed GeniAUS's HOA about LifeLink from 2 weeks ago so I headed over there & watched it. There is some good discussion about the issues with the new search facility & some of the workarounds.
I do like the idea of being able to group search results by spelling variants via Family Name.
Thanks for the tip to use the old online search facility +Jill Ball. It took a bit of searching but I have the links & I'm bookmarking them, the Births & Deaths search page & the Marriage Search page.
Just to compare the results of searches, I tried a marriage search using the same parameters in both search facilities (using the *e / e* workaround that +Jill Ball suggested for the new search facility) & there was a huge difference - there were about 40 results in the new search compared to over 350 results in the old search. This did give me an idea though, & I tried using only * in the bride's surname field & this produced many more results.